Saturday, September 21, 2013

Black Zwartbles Sheep - Oil Painting

“SHEEP 31” by © Karrel Christopher
Original oil on canvas painting ~ 50 x 50 cm
This Black Zwartbles Sheep was my first sheep friend. We met alongside a barbed wire fence at a large open green field. Though I had admired many sheep from a distance – this was my first up close and personal meeting. I was entranced by her beautiful golden eyes, the wonderful scent of her wool and her eager, tender affection. At the time, I had recently seen exclusive footage of the massacre of exported sheep September 2012 in Karachi, Pakistan shared by animal rights activist. The brutal, senseless culling of nearly 10,000 sheep was horrifically devastating and haunted me.
So here I was, hugging, kissing and caressing “31” and I found myself collapsed into a flood of uncontrollable sobbing. She nuzzled closer as if to heal me. I prayed aloud…for her…and all sheep worldwide that have suffered great atrocities and lost their lives to human ignorance and greed. I have been so blessed to visit with her and the rest of her small herd many times – getting to know and love them all.
I have also met many more at several sheep shearing festivals and documented their strife and misery. The sound of their voices, their luminous eyes, observing the complexities of their personal relationships and the honor of holding baby lambs in my arms has moved me to the core. These experiences are life changing.
Painting “31” was very emotional for me…being another step for me as a Vegan, a photographer and an artist. I present her to the world with overwhelming love and respect – with her ear tags removed. In my heart, she is not property or livestock or an amusement at a kid’s farm. She is a magnificent living being. She is part of my Earth Family. I beseech the world to please end the horrible animal holocaust.

Please feel welcome to view my other PAINTINGS:
at my ART website: http://karrelchristopher.com/
If you see something you like, please feel welcome to contact me about purchase and shipping information.
ART on Face Book: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Karrel-Christopher-ART-Photography/379579508720158
~ Thank you for your support ~ KC

No comments:

Post a Comment